Thursday, September 22, 2005

Court, i.e. manifestation of statist monopoly

Yesterday, or by now I suppose it must be two days ago, I was forced to make an appearane at the district court of Hillsdale, MI. Due to an MIP, minor in possession (of alcohol), I was bound to appear lest I incur the full fury of the state a la Ruby Ridge, Waco, New Orleans, etc. At first, however, my inclination was to wholly reject any admission and rather to fight the very justice of the law applied, viz. the under 21 prohibition of alcohol. I would brag about how forcefully I would contend with the county of Hillsdale and bankrupt them through the invocation of pro bono organizations such as the ACLU and IJ. The very circumstances of my MIP suggested a dismissal: JP and I were walking accross a single street to ATO when we were stopped by Michigan State Police right in front of the house. All facts told, I was a wee bit intoxicated and therefore stumbling. Yet, neither of us had an open container of alcohol, the primary probable cause for the administration of a breathalizer. Nonetheless, I thoughtlessly complied and blew the breathalizer; at this point I was focusing all my energy on preventing myself from cursing at the cops. When I showed up in the county clerk's office for the second district court, I had thought about bringing my brass-topped cane and affecting a limp so as to account for my staggering on the night in question (a plan not so outlandish as it might seem given the fact that I not long ago had knee surgery and therefore evinced a profound limp. When it came to blows, though, I assumed the position, leaving my cane in the car, walking normally, and taking my beating like a slave. Even though I explored legal alternatives, I eventually resolved to pay the $105 fine and be done with the byzantine machinations of monopolistic state oppression.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home