Sunday, July 17, 2005

Medical Science

I am going to have an MRI this thursday, which makes me genuinely happy that I decided against becoming tattooed. After a certain incident, literally, where I took a great fall, I finally followed up on having my head examined. Just after the incident, what they initially thought was a hemorrhage proved to be merely a calcification upon closer examination. I recently saw, nine months later, a neurologist who has set up an MRI for me. While in conference with her, however, I took the opportunity to probe her informed opinions about all sorts of mind-altering substances. This turn of conversation was actually begun by her inquiring about my level of alcohol consumption as indicated by me on the survey. I corrected her that those numbers were per diem, not weekly. She launched into a diatribe about the effects of alcohol, whereupon I brought up the possibility of green as a healthier, comparatively harmless substitute. She replied that its diminishing effects on long-term memory are well documented. Hence, it will actually make you dumber over time. I replied that numerous treatises make contradictory claims with abundant, credible, and current scientific evidence. I posited the anecdotal and subjective nature of long-term retardation by green and also argued that nothing beholden to the government for funding or approbation could be trusted as impartial since the government had such a dominating interest in justifying its expenditures and vindicating its majesty.
At this point, I cut my losses and moved on to ask about cocaine and amphetamines. She said that cocaine was incredibly dangerous due largely to its vasoconstrictive properties. Essentially, it rotted organs by depriving them of blood. This includes the brain. I asked whether this was due to the cut rather than to white itself. She said that cuts are certainly dangerous, but that pure white itself only increases these dangers. Even one use could potentially be destructive and retarding. I don't know that I'd buy that, given that according to most evidence severe damage to internal organs only comes from regular, long-term usage and, aside from the nasal septum from snorting cocaine, injecting cocaine. Anyway, amphetamines are relatively harmless except when used with long-term regularity where they tend to produce psychosis and all other sorts of bad mental disorders. Finally, I asked about St. John's Wort and was relieved to find out that with the exception of some dietary requirements, and even this is altogether uncertain and more precautionary given certain similarities to antidepressant drugs with those dietary restrictions, it has no real deleterious effects. In short, she said that anything that messes up your mind is bad for you. But what else could she say in her capacity as a practitioner lest she become the victim of pitiless oppression. I've just been reading about GHB, a drug that like mushrooms seems to have no real side effects or body counts. I stand by my claim to her that most problems come from crime and and impurities, both of which spring naturally from the font of prohibition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home