Saturday, June 04, 2005

Perfect Beauty

I must proclaim my faith in the belief that Another Night by the Real McCoy is a perfect song. In the depths of a bout of drunken despair, a single note from this masterpiece and instantly I felt revived into the ranks of the blessed and rejoiced in my life. It holds the meaning and consequent subjective beauty of life. The essential dichotomy of good and evil united within one entity forms the compelling basis of the song. I hear the angelic voice of heaven and the seductive song of satan in alternation. Yet, life is wonderful nonetheless. They both form a single chorus, the form of which is our lives. Yet, as when I read Crime and Punishment, my thoughts are that good and evil is simply a biased formulation of primitive of and civilized. The morality of primitive human organization is inherently different from the morality necessary for civilized organization. Likewise, the two moralities are irreconcilable. But, man is naturally predisposed towards the primitive as more suited to his instinct, but the civilized prevails as a competitive advantage. Thus, men practice civilized morality simultaneously despising it and yearning for the bygone primitive morality so emotionally satisfying. Hence, the song Another Night actually portrays the schism tormenting the civilized man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home